Search This Blog

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Penne in Red Sauce

Last night I used up the tomatoes that we got from the food bank along with the last of the sausages they had on sale. Normally we don't have meat with our sauce, but my eldest really wanted it and she rarely asks for anything. How could I resist? There is no picture because I am pretty sure that everyone knows what pasta and sauce look like.

From the cupboard I had a lot of small cans of tomato products which I introduced to some sauteed garlic that I had on hand. I put in some dried basil and red pepper flakes the dropped in the Italian sausage and let it simmer for about 20 minutes before I put the water on for the sauce. We didn't have an additional vegetable, but I do have enough sauce leftover and in the freezer for another day. I got the penne at on of the frequent pasta sales they have at the grocery. This box has been in my cupboard for a couple of months.

There will be no produce box this Friday which is good because we have no money right now because of bills, so this coming week should be interesting. I do have a few things left from the last box though, so we will see how it goes. I am avoiding going to the food pantry since we do have some food in the house still from the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment