Search This Blog

Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Need Some New Material

Last night I asked Pippy what she wanted for lunch, which has become something of a ritual before getting ready for bed. At first she didn't know, but then she said "Onigiri with chicken teriyaki in it".  We compromised, she got onigiri with chicken teriyaki on the side. The reasoning is that we simply don't have a lot of things to fill in the gaps with and I wanted to have a sturdy lunch for her that would put up with her backpack.
So, last night I cooked one chicken thigh in teriyaki sauce for her lunch. I know, I could have done a whole meals worth and saved it for dinner. Well, I didn't have a lot of time, so I just did the one. I have got to put more energy into making several little bits to go with her lunch.

The onigiri is surrounded by shredded carrot. I have this nifty tool that does a thick shred (or thin julienne, depending on your view) and it makes shredded vegetables easy. The chicken teriyaki is plain to see, I tore it up so that it would fit. In the center is a salad made of red bell peppers and rainbow radishes with some store bought Asian style dressing from Trader Joe's. After that I cut and English cucumber on a rotating bias to add some interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment