Search This Blog

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Onigiri

Onigiri are usually very easy to make, and you can stuff them with a little leftover meat or vegetable too. Pickled plums are often used and because of their high salt content are considered a good preservative for the rice. This time the onigiri wasn't as easy because I rinsed the rice. Normally I don't because the rice we get is pre-rinsed, but most of the how to information includes always rinsing it until the water runs clear. Since it washes away all the starch, the rice isn't as sticky. Usually our rice is very gelatinous, so I thought that this would help, but it just made the rice not stick very well. Lesson learned. I may do a quick rinse, but no more rinsing until the water is clear.

I tried the zoom today, I guess the picture is okay though I should try some nice backgrounds. The top of the container holds two onigiri (shaped and sometimes stuffed rice). On one I covered with sesame seeds and the other was supposed to be fried, but it fell apart in the pan. On the bottom are baby corn cut in half, a few baby carrots for a little color, two slices of roasted turkey slices and sugar snap peas. This isn't as colorful as I would have liked. Also, one of the peas looks like there is mold or something on it, but that is just the picture, I was very careful to wash and check the vegetables before putting them in the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment